Motorcycles Street Race
Image by Bike BD from Pixabay

Motorcycles Street Race


Police cordoned off the area of the Mountain Thunder motorcycle street race in Methven where the fatal crash occurred.

A competitor has died in a motorcycle street race in Methven this afternoon.

The man died at the annual Mountain Thunder motorcycle street race competition in the South Island town.

Police said the man suffered critical injuries in the crash at around 12:50pm and died at the scene

Erin Tasker/Fairfax NZ

Riders take part in the street race before a fatality occurred.

A spokesman for St John’s ambulance said they were attending the race when the accident happened.

“The situation deteriorated rapidly and the man passed away, ” he said.

Event Organiser on behalf of Methven Lions, Sue van den Heuvel, confirmed there had been a fatality.

Riders take part in racing at Methven’s motorbike street racing before a fatality occurred.

“Our thoughts are with the family and helping them through this afternoon, ” she said.

“Police are at the scene and investigating.”

Spectator Paul MacDonald said the the race was stopped and there was an announcement on the event’s tannoy.

“The announcer was very emotional. He was crying, ” he said.

“He was announcing there had been a serious accident and the event had been stopped.”

The Mountain Thunder event is held every Easter Saturday and involves racers from across New Zealand reaching speeds of up to 200 kilometres per hour on a tight 1 kilometre road circuit, according to the event’s website.

Saturday’s death is the second fatality at a South Island motorcycle street race event inside six months.

Nelson man Guy Lowe died on the way to hospital after crashing his bike while riding in the Greymouth Street Races back in October.

Lowe’s death was the first fatality in the 27-year history of the Greymouth Street Races.

The Methven and Greymouth races are two of the major street race events on the South Island calendar.



Site Footer